1. Those whom God has accepted in the beloved, effectually called and sanctified by his Spirit, and given the precious faith of his elect unto, can neither totally nor finally fall from the state of grace, but shall certainly persevere therein to the end, and be eternally saved, seeing the gifts and callings of God are without repentance, from which source he still begets and nourishes in them faith, repentance, love, joy, hope, and all the graces of the Spirit unto immortality;1and though many storms and floods arise and beat against them, yet they shall never be able to take them off that foundation and rock which by faith they are fastened upon; notwithstanding, through unbelief and the temptations of Satan, the sensible sight of the light and love of God may for a time be clouded and obscured from them,2yet he is still the same, and they shall be sure to be kept by the power of God unto salvation, where they shall enjoy their purchased possession, they being engraved upon the palm of his hands, and their names having been written in the book of life from all eternity.3
1. John 10:28-29; Phil. 1:6; 2 Tim. 2:19; 1 John 2:19 2. Ps. 89:31-32; 1 Cor. 11:32 3. Mal. 3:6
2. This perseverance of the saints depends not upon their own free will, but upon the immutability of the decree of election,4flowing from the free and unchangeable love of God the Father, upon the efficacy of the merit and intercession of Jesus Christ and union with him,5the oath of God,6the abiding of his Spirit, and the seed of God within them,7and the nature of the covenant of grace;8from all which ariseth also the certainty and infallibility thereof.
4. Rom. 8:30, 9:11, 16 5. Rom. 5:9-10; John 14:19 6. Heb. 6:17-18 7. 1 John 3:9 8. Jer. 32:40
3. And though they may, through the temptation of Satan and of the world, the prevalency of corruption remaining in them, and the neglect of means of their preservation, fall into grievous sins, and for a time continue therein,9whereby they incur God's displeasure and grieve his Holy Spirit,10come to have their graces and comforts impaired,11have their hearts hardened, and their consciences wounded,12hurt and scandalize others, and bring temporal judgments upon themselves,13yet shall they renew their repentance and be preserved through faith in Christ Jesus to the end.14
9. Matt. 26:70, 72, 74 10. Isa. 64:5, 9; Eph. 4:30 11. Ps. 51:10, 12 12. Ps. 32:3-4 13. 2 Sam. 12:14 14. Luke 22:32, 61, 62